18th August, 2020
India's Public Distribution System
The Public Distribution System is a welfare scheme operated by the government of india. It involves the procurement and distribution of foodgrains at subsidized pricing. It operates through fair-price shops throughout the country.
- Some studies indicate that PDS increases the calorie input of India by 6%
- 25% of rice and 14% of wheat of india is bought through the PDS
- Decreases nutrition unequality
- Targeting is still a problem - only for BPL people with ration card or everyone?
- Availability of different food grains in different parts varies, esp remote parts
- Quality of the PDS grains is much lower than the grains available in the market
- Which grains?
- Local foodgrains are ignored in the PDS system