22nd July, 2020
Finitude is the notion that resources in this world are finite. Resources run a risk of Resource Depletion
Examples of finite resources:
- India's fuel of choice is coal.
- The problem is that the amount of coal being extracted is increasing year on year and its not renewable - it takes thousands of years to form coal.
- Environmental Impact:
- 1.64 lakh hectare of forest land has been cleared for coal mining
- Water needs of 1/5 of india's population can be supplied with what is used for coal extraction.
- Social Impact
- Dispacing the most vulnerable people - who are rooted the most in their land
- Pollution this creates effects millions of people all around
- We are extracting more than the renewal rate. Therefore, this too is a finite resource which is constantly getting depleted.